Creating a APFS Logical Drive in RAID 5 with Encryption on a P3 R4

• Last Post 3 days ago
Jake Sargeant posted this 3 weeks ago

I have a Pegasus3 R4 with brand new drives where I'd like to know the possibliites of success creating a APFS logical drive with encryption and if this has been tested on Promises's end and is known to work and be stable.

Per a FAQ at Apple's APFS guide here:

Can RAID be used with Apple File System?

Yes. Apple File System does not directly implement software RAID; however APFS-formatted volumes can be combined with an Apple RAID volume to support Striping (RAID 0), Mirroring (RAID 1), and Concatenation (JBOD). APFS-formatted volumes can also be used with direct-attached hardware RAID solutions.

What does this mean for RAID 5 as this is the type of RAID I'd like to set up with APFS encryption.

Thanks for input and thoughts on this!

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
Devendra Kumar posted this 3 weeks ago

Hi Jake,

APFS is optimized for solid-state drives (SSDs) and other all-flash storage devices. Traditional hard disk drives (HDDs), and non-Mac volumes aren't converted.

Please refer the below KB Article

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208033

Thanks

Jake Sargeant posted this 2 weeks ago

Hi Devendra, 

I have already successfully converted a test 3.5" hard drive (HDD) to a APFS volume using Disk Utility.

Has there been testing on Promise's end with P3 in RAID 5 formatted as APFS with encryption?

Per Apple's APFS guide that i linked in my post above:

How do I upgrade to Apple File System?

The macOS High Sierra installer offers nondestructive in-place upgrades from HFS+ to APFS for bootable volumes. You can use Disk Utility to convert external volumes from HFS+ to APFS format.

If I convert a volume to APFS, can I later revert to HFS+?

You can use Disk Utility to erase an APFS-formatted volume and reformat as HFS+. However, your data will not be preserved when you reformat the volume as HFS+.

Jake Sargeant posted this 3 days ago

Bumping this back up as I didn't hear any word back from Promise as to my last post 2 weeks ago...

Close