Why 2 Thunderbolt Ports?

• Last Post 26 June 2018
Elham h posted this 23 June 2018

Hello, I am using the Sanlink2 but I don‘t get it why this device has 2 Thunderbolt and Ethernet Ports. I tried to connect 2 Macs but it failed... is it a way to daisy chain Macs or do I need to buy an expensive Sanlink2?

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
Richard Oettinger posted this 23 June 2018

Most Thunderbolt devices have two ports, and they are indeed for daisy-chaining.

The TB ports on a Mac or PC can support up to six devices, so a single port device would have to be at the end of a chain.

You can network two Macs together by connecting a TB cable directly between them - you dont need to use a SANLink.

• Liked by
  • Elham h
Elham h posted this 23 June 2018

Thanks for the fast reply. 

Do I need to do a specific setting? Because I tried to daisy chai two iMacs(model 2015 and 2012). But it didn’t worked. Actually the iMac 2015 is a Thunderbolt 2. And how does those two Ethernet Ports behave? Is it kind of Link Aggregation if I connect 2xCat6 cables?

Richard Oettinger posted this 25 June 2018

You have to provide more details - you tried to daisy-chain two iMacs how?

By ethernet with SANLinks, or by Thunderbolt?

By Thunderbolt, you go to System Preferences -> Network and configure the Thunderbolt Bridge interface.

It is not "kind of", you go to System Preferences -> Network and the gear to Manage Virtual Interfaces, then use the + to add a New Link Aggregate, and then select the two SANLink "Thunderbolt Ethernet" ports to be included in this aggregate.

• Liked by
  • Elham h
Elham h posted this 25 June 2018

Well, I tried to daisy chain via Thunderbolt. Thanks your support a have now on my 5k iMac a link aggregated connection. But is it now possible to create a bridge to connect my 2012 iMac via Thunderbolt?

Elham h posted this 25 June 2018

Edit: I am a newby at networking. How should the bridge settings be?

thanks for you help.

Richard Oettinger posted this 26 June 2018

You can check out some articles at Apple on macOS networking basics:

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25257

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25775

Close