VTrak 8110 dead. Options?

• Last Post 31 August 2020
Þór Sigurðsson posted this 29 August 2020

Hi all,

Unfortunately my adventure with the VTrak 8110 took a ride downhill since the last post. The PSU wouldn't be revived and for a few days it ran on one PSU. Then the second PSU started to experience issues and probably due to fluctuating voltages, the CPU board now shows a red light and the box is completely inoperable.

My question is thus; as the VTrak 8110 firmware really is a Linux installation, is there any possibility for me to take the disks out of the 8110, connect them to a PC and read the 4-disk array that I had in the 8110 that way?

My heart is a bit sunken at the moment - I had moved our family pictures to the array and apparently I did the dumb thing of re-using the original drive that contained the pictures - in another array - and I didn't take a backup. So ANY ideas that would allow me to recover the family data would be most appreciated.

Best,

Þór

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
Ranjith kumar posted this 30 August 2020

Hi,

-Are you able to ping the Managment IP address of Vtrak 8110?

-Have you checked with serial connection?

Kindly reach us through creating a web support case id at support.promise.com to assist you 

further on this.

Thank you,

Regards,

Promise Team

R P posted this 31 August 2020

My question is thus; as the VTrak 8110 firmware really is a Linux installation, is there any possibility for me to take the disks out of the 8110, connect them to a PC and read the 4-disk array that I had in the 8110 that way?

Unfortunatly this won't work. The RAID is created by the Promise RAID engine, not Linux RAID.

The VTrak 8110 is long EOL and no spare parts are available.

You may be able to find a replacement on EBay.

Also, it's possible that the RAID can be read by a more recent Promise storage controller, I know that they built backward compatibility into the later units. But I don't have an 8110 to test with and no compatibility testing has been done, so this may or may not work.

Close