VESS A6800 - 4 Hard disks offline

• Last Post 4 weeks ago
  • Topic Is Solved
Khaled El Sewedy posted this 17 June 2024

Hello

I have 4 hard disks went "Dead" so logical Drive is "Degraded" and "Raid5" is offline, how can I turn the RAID Back online for now untill I buy those Harddisk, and is it common for 4 harddisks to go offline on the same day.

Need urgent assistant since all storage is down.

Thank you,

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
R P posted this 17 June 2024

Hi,

More information wil be necessary. Can you generate a service report and attach it to your post?

The drives are marked dead, which does not mean that they are physically dead. If you pull a drive out or a running RAID, it will be marked dead.

Most likely the drives are OK and the RAID can be brought online. But we will need a service report.

• Liked by
  • Khaled El Sewedy
Khaled El Sewedy posted this 17 June 2024

Hello,

Thank you Mr Payne for your fast response and support, I have not been able to attach the whole RAR file, so I used Wetransfer and here is the link of the Service report I saved.

https://we.tl/t-KXtk3OgS1g

Awating your response

R P posted this 20 June 2024

Hi,

This is the order of events...

Apr 05 - PD 10 offline, rebuild starts
Apr 07 - rebuild completes, PD 10 is staleconfig
Jun 15 - PD 15 offline, LD critical
Jun 17 - PD 07 offline, LD offline
Jun 17 - PD 15 offline again
Jun 17 - PD 01 offline

and is it common for 4 harddisks to go offline on the same day.

These disk failures spanned more than 2 months, although several drives went offline on Jun 17th.

To bring the RAID alive, please run the following commands from the CLI.

phydrv -a online -p 1
phydrv -a online -p 7

This will bring the LD online but it will be critical. Rebuilds will be necessary to bring the status to OK.

If the Volume does not mount, the incomplete array may need to be accepted. Use this command.

array -a accept -d 0

The event logs say the drives were marked dead because they were removed.

2176 Jun 15, 2024 09:01:29   Major       PD 15 Physical Disk is marked as DEAD due to removal

Most likely the drives were not removed, when they failed the Vess saw the drives dissapear as if they had been removed.

These drives will probably fail again, but when is hard to say.

Please copy of all critical data to different storage.

Khaled El Sewedy posted this 20 June 2024

Hello,

Thank you again for your support Mr Richard, Could you kindly guide me on how to open this terminal(CLI), since this is the first issue to face with a promise tech server.

Awaiting your reply.

R P posted this 20 June 2024

Hi,

Open the file explorer and navigate to C:\PromiseApp\clitest and double click on the clitest file.

Khaled El Sewedy posted this 4 weeks ago

Hello,

Apparently another error appeared that turned off the storage once again and recordings, I will attach another Service report: 

https://we.tl/t-MaGqCsZaVv

Any guide could assist me through this

R P posted this 4 weeks ago

Hi,

Why did you force PD 15 online?

NVRAM| 2361 Jun 21, 2024 03:26:07    Info       PD 15 Physical Disk is marked online
NVRAM| 2366 Jun 21, 2024 03:39:58 Info PD 15 Physical Disk is marked online
NVRAM| 2371 Jun 21, 2024 03:40:00 Info PD 15 Physical Disk is marked online
NVRAM| 2376 Jun 21, 2024 03:42:03 Info PD 15 Physical Disk is marked online
NVRAM| 2381 Jun 21, 2024 03:43:29 Info PD 15 Physical Disk is marked online
NVRAM| 2398 Jun 23, 2024 15:16:56 Info PD 15 Physical Disk is marked online
NVRAM| 2430 Jun 23, 2024 16:29:22 Info PD 15 Physical Disk is marked online

The instructions above say to force PD 1 and PD 7 online, not PD 15.

PD 15 has stale data and should not be part of the array. Adding a disk with stale data can cause irrepairable damage to the filesystem. That's why the instructions said only to bring PD 1 and PD 7 online.

Please force PD15 offline and reboot. If you are lucky the volume might mount.

phydrv -a offline -p 15

If the volume does not mount, then there is nothing more that can be done.

All the failed disks will need to be replaced, PD 1, PD 7, PD 10 and PD 15. But it was necessary to use PD 1 and PD 7 to bring the logical disk online. After the Volume was mounted, then we would have discussed rebuilding to replace the failed drives with new drives.

Close