Upgrading Pegasus 3 HDDs to increase capacity

• Last Post 4 weeks ago
Andrew Turner posted this 20 September 2021

My Pegasus 3 4x3TB drive has been faultless but I am running out of space (I am a photographer with a lot of large images).  I currently have the R4 partitioned 50% for data files (and have used 4Tb of the 6) and 50% for Time Machine (used 5.3Tb of the 6).  With 1TB SSD on my iMac there isn't room in TM to do a complete new backup (needed after a recent issue with the Mac OS).  There are no old TM Backups available to delete. It looks as if two of the drives are used solely for data and the other two for TM.  Can I upgrade the capacity of both partitions by inserting new drives?  How should I move the data and TM backups across to the new drives?  Where can I obtain new drives?  Is there a max capacity (I am considering 4 x 6TB)?  What spec drives should I be lookng for?  Will any of this invalidate my warranty (still has a couple of years to go)?  Would I be better off buying another Pegasus for either data or TM and changing the current R4 into one drive, and can that even be done without losing eithe rthe files or the TM backups?  All advice useful!  Thank you.

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
Raghuraman Kannan posted this 21 September 2021

Hi Andrew,

You can consider upgrading the drives but once you do that, the current drives have to be archived and you cannot use both the old drives and the new drives at the same time. Also, the  Promise hardware warranty will be applicable only for the original drives and not for the newly replaced drives. You have to contact the vendor from whom you get the drives.

Given the situation, I would recommend you to buy another Pegasus unit and daisy chain with the existing device . This will give you the much needed space and it will allow you to move the data from existing unit to new unit. You can then setup one of the Pegasus solely for data and the other one for Time Machine backups . 

Hope this answers your question.

Feel free to post your queries.

Thanks ! 

Andrew Turner posted this 5 weeks ago

Thanks for your assessment.  I guess that's what I'll do.  Any suggestions as to process?  I guess I really haven't grasped a couple of fundamental concepts:  As half my current 12TB Pegasus is used for data, and the drives are RAID5, when it tells me I have 4.5TB used, does this mean 2.25 is used but with RAID5 that takes up 4.5TB?  And, would I be right to see 2 drives being dedicated to TM and 2 to data files?  If I copy across to a new Pegasus the TM data and need at least 6TB for TM to start again, is another 12TB unit big enough  - maybe using JBOD rather than RAID?  Then can I recongigure the original Pegasus to make it all available for data files without erasing the ones already there?  Seems some wooly thinking going on here!  Thx for forebearance...

Andrew Turner posted this 4 weeks ago

Ok...I guess I was rather tired when I last posted...!  I have just ordered a second Pegasus system - Pegasus 32 R4 16TB RAID because I see it is 16TB and that fits my requirements very well.  I will donate my current 12TB system to a family member who needs it.  On my new system, I intend to set up two equal partitions - one for data files and the other for TimeManager.  I do have some questions: 1) I presume the new system will have it's own version of the Promise Utility.  Is there any problem with having both Pegsus drives and Utilities on the same Mac and open at the same time?  2) To transfer the data files to the new system - could I drag and drop?  or swop in the data HDDs from the old system and just copy them over - from the 3TB drives to the 4TB drives?  Is there a better way?  3) ditto the TM backups?  4) is it simplest/quickest for data transfer to daisy-chain the the two units?  5) is there a safe way to return the original system to its factory defaults and so wipe the partitioning, data and back-ups before passing the unit over to someone new?  Should I also delete the old Utility? Thanks.  Afterthought: is a partition necessary for TimeMachine?  Couldn't it simply be a file alongside the data files?

R P posted this 4 weeks ago

Hi Andrew,

I have just ordered a second Pegasus system - Pegasus 32 R4 16TB RAID because I see it is 16TB and that fits my requirements very well.  I will donate my current 12TB system to a family member who needs it.

Keep in mind that if you use the default configuration you will have a 4-drive RAID5 with 12TB of usable space.

1) I presume the new system will have it's own version of the Promise Utility.  Is there any problem with having both Pegsus drives and Utilities on the same Mac and open at the same time?

Just install the latest Pegasus 32 driver and utility, it is backwards compatible.

2) To transfer the data files to the new system - could I drag and drop?

Yes, that's the simplest solution.

3) ditto the TM backups?

I'm not sure if macOS will allow you to do this. The OS manages some folders and this might be one. But you can always give it a try.

4) is it simplest/quickest for data transfer to daisy-chain the the two units?

While that will work, it's better to plug each Pegasus into a different TB port if you have 2 available.

5) is there a safe way to return the original system to its factory defaults and so wipe the partitioning, data and back-ups before passing the unit over to someone new?

Open the CLI and delete all the arrays. You can quickly create a new volume with the Wizard automatic option. It will create a 4-drive RAID5 and put HFS+ on it. To be safe, dismount and disconnect the new Pegasus before doing this.

Afterthought: is a partition necessary for TimeMachine?  Couldn't it simply be a file alongside the data files?

You need a filesystem (like HFS+) to create files and macOS will only create a filesystem in a partition. Timemachine won't use a raw partition.

That's all very helpful,  Thank you.  One point of clarification: 'Open the CLI'....I don't see anything in my current Promise Utility (v4.04.0000.46 C01) that looks like it might be this...is it something I will find in the new utility when I instal it?  Thx.

Hi Andrew,

To open the CLI open a terminal and enter 'promiseutil' and hit return.

Type 'array' and it will show you all the arrays.

To delete an array...

array -a del -d 0

This will delete arrayID 0, repeat for any other arrays then your can run the Wizard from the Promise Utility.

As a precaution make sure the new Pegasus is not attached.

Many thanks - I had expected to be able to do this from the Utility or maybe Disk Utility.  Will give it a try over the weekend.

Hi Andrew,

You can use the Promise Utility for this, but you'll have to delete the logical disks before you can delete the arrays and you'll have to verify every step, probably by typing 'confirm'. The CLI is faster you just have to delete the arrays.

One thing I forgot, if any drives are passthru you'll have to change them to unconfigured before they can be added to an array.

Close