SANLink2 with Thunderbolt 2->3 (USB C) Adapter?

• Last Post 21 March 2024
Tom Boone posted this 04 October 2019

I was attempting to use a SANLink2 adapter with my Macbook Pro 2016. However, I realized that I needed to use a Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adapter to connect the SANLink to my Macbook.

However, as soon as I changed my NIC properties to 10 GB, the connection was gone, link lights were off on both the SANLink and switch port.

As soon as I changed the NIC properties on my Macbook back to 1000 or autodetect, link light resumed.

The connected switch port was configured for 10 gb, so I am unsure why this was happened.  Previously on my old Macbook, I could connec tdireclty to my Macbook with Thunderbolt 2 and had no issues.

In short, is it unsupported to Connect the SANLInk 2 to a MacBook Pro with a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter?

Yvonne Rhodes posted this 21 March 2024

I was attempting to use a SANLink2 adapter with my Macbook Pro 2016. However, I realized that I needed to use a Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adapter to connect the SANLink to my Macbook.

However, as soon as I changed my NIC properties to 10 GB, the connection was gone, link lights were off on both the SANLink and switch port.

As soon as I changed the NIC properties on my Macbook MyMilestoneCard back to 1000 or autodetect, link light resumed.

The connected switch port was configured for 10 gb, so I am unsure why this was happened.  Previously on my old Macbook, I could connec tdireclty to my Macbook with Thunderbolt 2 and had no issues.

In short, is it unsupported to Connect the SANLInk 2 to a MacBook Pro with a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter?

Hello,

It seems you’re encountering a compatibility issue with the SANLink2 adapter when trying to use it with a Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adapter on your MacBook Pro 2016. The SANLink2 is designed to connect directly to a Thunderbolt 2 port, and using an adapter to convert it to USB-C for a MacBook Pro 2016 might be causing the connection issues you’re experiencing when you set your NIC properties to 10 GB.

The problem could be related to the Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adapter not supporting the full 10 Gb/s speed that the SANLink2 requires. It’s also possible that the adapter doesn’t support the necessary protocols to maintain a stable connection at 10 Gb/s. This would explain why the connection resumes when you set the NIC properties back to 1000 or autodetect, as the adapter may only support lower speeds reliably.

While there is no explicit mention in the SANLink2 documentation about incompatibility with Thunderbolt 3 adapters, the issues you’re facing suggest that there might be limitations when using the SANLink2 with an adapter rather than a direct Thunderbolt 2 connection. It’s recommended to check with the manufacturer for any firmware updates or specific guidance on using the SANLink2 with a Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

Close