R6 raid 6 performance

• Last Post 2 weeks ago
裕翔 蘇 posted this 2 weeks ago

From the manual, I found that For RAID 6 logical drives, choose a Codec Scheme from the dropdown menu.P+Q and Q+Q are available. 

I think the safety should be similar since both P+Q and Q+Q provide 2 HDDs failure tolerance.

I wonder if there will be performance difference (higher write spead) with Q+Q? since the raid controller only need to calculate one (Q) instead of two (P+Q) parity. Am I correct?

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
arunkumar b posted this 2 weeks ago

Hi,

RAID 6 is double parity array.P+Q and Q+Q redundancy both will work in similar way.Hence,there will be no performance difference.

-Minimum four disks

-Survives any double drive failure

-Uses P-and Q-parities

Regards

Arun

裕翔 蘇 posted this 2 weeks ago

Hi,

RAID 6 is double parity array.P+Q and Q+Q redundancy both will work in similar way.Hence,there will be no performance difference.

That's what I'm curious about. As I know, with same 6 bay device, raid 6 is slight slower than Raid 5 because the Raid controller/system has to calculate  2 kinds (P+Q) redundancy/parity. So if I choose Q+Q redundancy, will it lower the burden for redundancy/parity calculation loading? (and enhance performance?) Or the controller/system is powerful enough, and the bottleneck of speed is limited by the HDD read/write spead instead of redundancy/parity calculation?

Close