R2600 file access

• Last Post 03 June 2024
Roger Barkley posted this 28 May 2024

I have read through the forum and did quite a few searches but cannot seem to find the answer. This is probably a stupid question and requires a short backstory.

As I am a web designer / graphic designer by trade I have a TNAS F420 that I started with and can access. Not long ago I had a few pieces of equipment basically dropped in my lap as a trade-off for some work done and was taking up space. A PowerEdge270 (which I still am working on getting into and resetting) and this Vess R2600. The Vess I was able to reset the PW using the USB method of OPAS_resetPW.zip. 

I can see the hard drives. I can see the file folders when I access the WebPAM PROe

---- Web based Promise Array Management Software

Version: 1.05.0000.84

Build Date: Nov 27, 2017.

Is there something I still need to do or is there something I am missing to access those files and folders to actually to be able to use the NAS? The TNAS has software and other things able to be loaded. I am new to the IT part of this and need guidance. Thanks in advance for your help.

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
Roger Barkley posted this 03 June 2024

Ok. Thanks. I'm assuming that's the Dell PoweEdge 720 that's with this system.  Also trying to get into it . Thanks for all your help.

R P posted this 03 June 2024

Hi Roger,

It's best when posting to the forum to select or snip only the thing you want to show and post an image with as little unecessary as possible.

That being said, these pictures were not worth a thousand words, but the thousands of words in the service report were, no need to repost the images.

The assumptions made from that one line above were almost all wrong. But then, you can't see what's in an iSCSI LUN from WebPAM, so I'm not sure what you were seeing, but it's not a NAS Volume, there are none.

This Vess R2600 has (2) iSCSI LUNs and the Dell is a VMware server. The Dell has logged in with 4 iSCSI sessions. I can guess the network topology, but that's not important here.

There are two logical drives.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LdId: 0
ArrayId: 0                             SYNCed: Yes
OperationalStatus: OK
Alias: NASLD_HLEMain
SerialNo: 495345200000000000000000A9980EC5D1B66A0B
WWN: 221f-0001-55c6-3206               PreferredCtrlId: N/A
RAIDLevel: RAID6                       StripeSize: 512 KB
Capacity: 18.18 TB                     PhysicalCapacity: 25.46 TB

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- LdId: 1 ArrayId: 1 SYNCed: Yes OperationalStatus: OK Alias: NASLD_Roger SerialNo: 49534520000000000000000039FA927326B798B9 WWN: 226f-0001-55c7-6e86 PreferredCtrlId: N/A RAIDLevel: RAID5 StripeSize: 512 KB Capacity: 7.27 TB PhysicalCapacity: 10.91 TB

To see what's on them you will have to login to the VMware server and connect to the VM or VMs. One LUN could be a Windows VM and the other a data disk, both could be Windows VMs, there is no way to tell.

As the VMware datastore format is unreadable by anything but VMware, you'll need to login to VMware to see.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kXUpW1UGcSlSMeJbrg8M618l5Bca9Shn/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Amo2xAkfwjXz2QGBCQkk3rxBIDiCo2JY/view?usp=sharing

I attached the screenshots 1920x1280 but the must have been compressed by the forum software

If you need to I can attach them

as of right now I am connecting via http://192.168.1.16/ and using Admin privileges

thanks for the quick response

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19fTT3l1ze_INTVWZbf2M4DjdHhMuHB47/view?usp=sharing

is the report

R P posted this 03 June 2024

Hi Roger,

None of this is of much help. The images are too small to see.Rereading the original post...

I can see the hard drives. I can see the file folders when I access the WebPAM PROe

If you can see file folders, then we can assume a NAS.

If you have a NAS then there is at minimum one NAS share.

One or more IO ports should be configured with DHCP or some static IP.

Any existing users should have been granted access permissions to some or all of the folders.

And your connection is probably ethernet.

How do you connect to it? Not enough information. A service report will help.

Can you attach a service report to one of your posts? It has to be attached as a zip file.

• Liked by
  • Roger Barkley

Forgive my stupidity and am trying to learn without bothering people. I am assuming this is what you mean.

I can add users. I do not quite understand how I can implement a way to access the files or folders to use them.

I have tried reading different threads but cannot find an exact thread for what I am trying to accomplish. I promise I am not completely ignorant .... but this server and system is making me feel less than average. I have it connected to a Dell PowerEdge 270 that I am awaiting the correct pw for in hopes that it may have the software that is used for such. In my thought process (maybe I am thinking wrong) I thought there was a way to access those folders shown in the pictures above. Thanks in advance for any insight given.

R P posted this 28 May 2024

Hi Roger,

The Vess R2600 does iSCSI, SMB and nfs. How you access the storage depends in how it is setup.

If it has iSCSI volumes you'll need to use the iSCSI initiator provided by your OS.

If it has NAS Shares, you'll need to connect by SMB or NFS. Login will require a username and password, you can see the NAS users in the NAS users tab. You can also create new users or change the password of existing users.

If you have the Fibre Channel controllers, you'll need a Fibre Channel HBA, SFPs and cables to connect via FC.

• Liked by
  • Roger Barkley
Close