Promise R4i on Mac Pro Incompatible with Big Sur Beta 6

• Last Post 4 days ago
Eduardo Cruz posted this 07 September 2020

Hi.  I have conclusive determined that the current Promise Utility and R4i internal raid is incompatible with Big Sur Beta 6.  Hard drive is not visibile at all on Finder or in Disk utility and the Promise Utility launches but nothing comes up.  Blank screen.  

This is a new product so I sincerely hope that Apple and Promise ensure its compatible with the new operating system

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
Katsu Takenaka posted this 4 days ago

With the latest beta version of Big Sur, Pegasus is mounted without any problem.

Rick Squires posted this 2 weeks ago

Please choose the right password, the one you use when you open your Mac. I am afraid this is the only suggestion I can give you

Ah.  Showing my ignorance of Applescript.  I though "yopur password" was a system variable that would pick up my username and password.  I'll try the script again.

\Thanks

Katsu Takenaka posted this 2 weeks ago

Please choose the right password, the one you use when you open your Mac. I am afraid this is the only suggestion I can give you.

Rick Squires posted this 2 weeks ago

This problem is not fixed even in the latest Beta 8 of Big Sur although SMB problem has been fixed. So, I still have to execute this on Terminal or let Automator do this with password everytime I reboot Mac.

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/PromiseSTEX.kext

Automator→Application→AppleScript  (Sorry for the Japanese in this image.) 

Make this application and put it in Login Items of Users & Groups.

Problem.. when I run this I get an error relating to Administrator Privileges.  Wrong Password!!  Any idea why? 

Thanks

Pieter Pretorius posted this 3 weeks ago

This is also not fixed in the lastest beta 9.

Katsu Takenaka posted this 4 weeks ago

This problem is not fixed even in the latest Beta 8 of Big Sur although SMB problem has been fixed. So, I still have to execute this on Terminal or let Automator do this with password everytime I reboot Mac.

Automator→Application→AppleScript  (Sorry for the Japanese in this image.) 

Make this application and put it in Login Items of Users & Groups.

Eduardo Cruz posted this 5 weeks ago

But Katsu's solution does get the drive mounted and recognized.  Thank you

Eduardo Cruz posted this 5 weeks ago

This problem is now fixed in the latest Beta 7 update of Big Sur!

I am sorry but it is NOT working on Mac Pro after the Beta 7 Udpate

Eduardo Araquel posted this 19 September 2020

This problem is now fixed in the latest Beta 7 update of Big Sur!

Gerald Skrocki posted this 18 September 2020

You can just force quit the installer before it reboots. 

Brooks Bell posted this 18 September 2020

Katsu's solution works for Promise R2 drives as well. Prior to that I was able to get it working by rerunning the Promise Driver installer. At the end it asks to reboot. Don't allow that and it works - just leave the installer running forever.  But I like Katsu's solution better.

Katsu Takenaka posted this 10 September 2020

I have the same issue.  Waiting for the final version is great for Promise, but until then I have terabytes of data that isn't available to me.  If this takes much longer, I'll be looking for a product that does work with Big Sur and I'll just drop Promise from my vendor list.  

Responsibility guys... take some responsibility.

Download and install the latest driver (PromiseSTEX) which wil be gone after you reboot Mac. So, in Terminal, execute this;

Everytime you reboot Mac, you shoud do this. So, I have made small application by Automator and put it in login items. This is the same situation as that NAS fails to mount up through SMB.

• Liked by
  • Brooks Bell
Eduardo Araquel posted this 10 September 2020

I did back up my data Wendy Wei, to my promise array. See the issue?

Exactly! The Promise arrays are the backup system for many people!

Jim Motes posted this 10 September 2020

I did back up my data Wendy Wei, to my promise array. See the issue?

Wendy Wei posted this 10 September 2020

Please backup your important data if you are the tester as Apple released the 3rd beta test:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/08/apple-seeds-new-macos-big-sur-public-beta/

Thanks.

Jim Motes posted this 09 September 2020

I have the same issue.  Waiting for the final version is great for Promise, but until then I have terabytes of data that isn't available to me.  If this takes much longer, I'll be looking for a product that does work with Big Sur and I'll just drop Promise from my vendor list.  

Responsibility guys... take some responsibility.

Pieter Pretorius posted this 09 September 2020

Yip, me too

• Liked by
  • Jim Motes
Eduardo Araquel posted this 08 September 2020

I'm looking for a workaround as well. I have some important footage on my Pegasus2 drives (I have an R6 and and R8).

• Liked by
  • Jim Motes
Andru Edwards posted this 08 September 2020

Hi Eduardo,

Sure, We will update on our site www.promise.com once we have official release of Promise utility and compatibility of Pegasus R4i for Mac OS Big Sur. Let's wait  for official release of Mac OS by Apple.

Regards,

Promise Team

Would there be any temporary workarounds? We're a development shop, and a bunch of our dev files are stored on the R4i. It's the first time we've ever seen storage be inaccessible during a beta.

Apple says we can install the driver and it will stay active until the next reboot. How do we install the driver for the R4i in the meantime so that we can access our files and move them off the R4i temporarily?

• Liked by
  • Jim Motes
Eduardo Cruz posted this 08 September 2020

Thank you.  Much appreciated.  Just wanted to make sure it was on your radar

Show More Posts
Close