Pegasus2 R6 prolonged beep, Promise Utility shows 'Multi-bit ECC error was detected'

• Last Post 06 March 2024
David Tan posted this 05 March 2024

I was using it without any problem, then suddenly it had a loud prolonged beep, and upon opening up the Promise Utility app, it showed 'Multi-bit ECC error was detected' for all the drives. See the image below.

I couldn't eject the drive either. Hence I restarted my computer and off-on Pegasus. My computers and laptop couldn't detect Pegasus thereafter, and the HDDs inside didn't start up too (no whirring sound).

May I know what I can do to resolve this? I hope my data is not gone :(

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
R P posted this 05 March 2024

Hi David,

Unfortunately, those ECC errors are for the controller memory. It looks like the Pegasus controller has gone bad.

Even though everything else is green, I would not use this Pegasus as what it writes to disk may not be what the mac told it to write.

You can put the disks in any Pegasus chassis (except for the Pegasus Pro) and the Volume should come up.

There are Pegasus chassis for sale at various places, I've seen them in Google shopping and I would expect you should find them at EBay and possibly Amazon.

David Tan posted this 06 March 2024

Hi David,

Unfortunately, those ECC errors are for the controller memory. It looks like the Pegasus controller has gone bad.

Even though everything else is green, I would not use this Pegasus as what it writes to disk may not be what the mac told it to write.

You can put the disks in any Pegasus chassis (except for the Pegasus Pro) and the Volume should come up.

There are Pegasus chassis for sale at various places, I've seen them in Google shopping and I would expect you should find them at EBay and possibly Amazon.

Hi R P, thanks for the information. May I know if it's possible to put my 6 HDDs a Pegasus R6 gen1 when mine is a gen2?

Also, pardon my ignorance, for the used chassis, does it matter which RAID it was prior programmed? Can it still recognize my 6 HDDs in my original RAID setting? I'm curious if the RAID setting was determined by the controller or the 6 HDDs?

R P posted this 06 March 2024

Hi David,

May I know if it's possible to put my 6 HDDs a Pegasus R6 gen1 when mine is a gen2

Yes, a Pegasus1 will recognize and mount a Volume created on a Pegasus2.

Also, pardon my ignorance, for the used chassis, does it matter which RAID it was prior programmed?

No, with the execption that it can't be a Pegasus Pro. Also, the used Pegasus chassis needs to have enough disk slots. It won't be possible to move the disks from a failed Pegasus2 R8 (8 disks in the RAID) to a Pegasus1 R4 (which has 4 disk slots).

Can it still recognize my 6 HDDs in my original RAID setting?

Yes.

I'm curious if the RAID setting was determined by the controller or the 6 HDDs?

All the RAID information is stored on the disks, nothining is tied to the Pegasus it was created with.

Close