Noisy HDDs in my Pegasus 32 R6 - resolution required

• Last Post 2 weeks ago
Bob Mann posted this 2 weeks ago

I've never been happy with the loud and intrusive clicks, pings and whirls from my Pegasus 32 R6 - the device now 2 years old. It is connected to my Mac Mini, and is noisy undertaking TimeMachine backups and anti-virus scans.

I've just checked what disks it has internally and was dismayed to find that they are 8TB Toshiba surveillance HDDs  (Model Serial ATA MD06ACA800V) - but the Pegasus is primarily for storing data / images and using photography / videograph - not / never CCTV capture. The disks are dated 12 Dec 2019, though I'm not sure how long the warranty is.

To overcome this problem I think that I have at least 3 solutions:

1. Replace with slower disks, say 5400rpm ones

2. Replace with different quieter models: WD Red Plus / Pro or IronWolf NAS at 7200rpm

3. Replace with SSDs: though this is likley to be costly, even if I bought smaller volume size SSDs

I'm not even sure what solid state drives I could use within the Pegasus chassis.

Any tech experts out there have an opinion on what they would do, or advise if there is an optimum solution?

Thanks in advance

Gautham Sakthi posted this 2 weeks ago

Hello Bob,

I would recommend you to create a support ticket by going to support.promise.com and then attach a subsystem report of the unit so we can check further and assist you.

Steps to save the subsystem report :

1) Open Promise Utility.
2) Click subsystem information icon on the top of the window.
3) Click the lock symbol on the left bottom corner of the screen to unlock the utility.
4) Click on save service report button to save the subsystem report and attach it to this case.

Close