I recently purchased a used Pagasus R4. This company, product line and entire class of products are new to me. I have never owned or used any drives in a RAID configuration. This is a learning project, so pardon the novice questions.
I assume it's a first generation unit, but I don't know. The unit came with four 3.5" 7600 RPM 1 Tb Toshiba HDD. Prior owner said it's currently configured as RAID 5. The Promise Utility says the firmware is up-to-date, and everything has a green check.
I have several questions:
(1) How do I confirm this is a 1st Gen Pegasus unit, and find the date of manufacture? The markings on the front just say "Pegasus R4." On the bottom is a serial number. On the back it says model "Pegasus R4," there are two bar codes one with a TLA number, and the other with a string of numbers and letters. There are a variety of inspection/certification symbols, one with a circular icon that looks like a fan and the letters R0HS, and under it there appears to be a year "2002/95/EC"?
(2) Is there a way to estimate the remaining life on the HDDs? Does the utility have a measure of the "milage" on each drive, which I could look up and compare to the average lifespan of the drive by brand and kind?
(3) Can this unit be upgraded with SDD drives? If so, can the SDD drives be switched out one-by-one, or do they need to be switched all at once? In other words, is it capable of running a combination of SSD and HDD drives at the same time?
(4) If possible, what hardware is needed to switch out the HDD with new SDD drives? Are there 3.5" SDD drives that will fit out of the box? If not, is there a chassis adaptor to install 2.5" SDD drives? Names of available products and/or links to U.S. retailers would be appreciated.
(5) Can the internal RAM be upgraded, and is there any reason to do so? Currently it says it has 512 MB of DDR2 SDRAM. If I wanted to upgrade the RAM, what product would I use? Any improved performance if I do?
I also have questions about the RAID configuration--such as why the Logical Drive has a 3Tb capacity if there are four 1Tb drives--but I'll save those for a different post. I don't even know what a "Logical Drive" is, so I should do some reading first.
Thanks in advance!