new 2020 iMac crashes: com.promise.r2p.icon

• Last Post 2 weeks ago
sam alfano posted this 2 weeks ago

And it appears to be related to com.promise.r2p.icon

iMac 2020 running Catalina running 10.15.7

How and where is this and how the heck do I get rid of it? I've deleted everything I can find pertaining to the Promise Utiliy, but this appears in each crash report. I've reset PRAM, etc. Nothing seems to work. I could never find a proper uninstall app so I manually deleted everything I could find.

I don't want the Pegasus Utily. I want to get rid of it.

Desperate for a solution. Thanks!

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
R P posted this 2 weeks ago

Hi Sam,

The icon file is not part of the Promise Utility, it's part of the package of an old driver. To solve the problem disconnect the Pegasus, delete the installed driver then reinstall the latest driver. Since you don't mention which Pegasus you have, I can't help you find the correct driver, but it's on the support page.

The easiest way to delete the old driver is from a terminal. Open a terminal and this command should do the trick.

sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/PromiseSTEX.kext

Then reinstall the latest driver.

Thank you RP! I appreciate your quick response. I ran the sudo command per your instruction. I'll reboot and see if it crashes when it sleeps again.

Mine is the Promise Pegasus R4 legacy product. It still works fine and I'd like to use it until it dies. It's been a great workhorse.

I'm pretty sure I had installed the latest driver which is v6.2.9 but as I said, I tried to delete everything I could find pertaining to the Utility app so it's probably gone. Is it imperative that I have it installed in order to use the drive?

Thank you again!

R P posted this 2 weeks ago

Hi Sam,

The driver is necessary if you want to access the storage.

The Promise Utility is needed only to manage the Pegasus. if a drive dies and you want to start a rebuild on a new drive, you'll need the Promise Utility.

Hi Sam,

The driver is necessary if you want to access the storage.

The Promise Utility is needed only to manage the Pegasus. if a drive dies and you want to start a rebuild on a new drive, you'll need the Promise Utility.

Still crashing whenever it goes to sleep. I ran the sudo command per your instruction. Here's what it says in the crash log:

last loaded kext at 1156733917447: com.promise.r2p.icon 1.0.7 (addr 0xffffff7f87ee4000, size 16384)

There's obviously still something somewhere that causing this. 

Suggestions?

Still crashing whenever it goes to sleep. I ran the sudo command per your instruction. Here's what it says in the crash log:

last loaded kext at 1156733917447: com.promise.r2p.icon 1.0.7 (addr 0xffffff7f87ee4000, size 16384)

There's obviously still something somewhere that causing this. 

Suggestions?

Using a search utility I see one instance in this location but it will not allow me to delete it.

I found an instance of PromiseSTEX.kext in an Extensions folder, even after running the Terminal command. I deleted it. The problem appears to be resolved. No more crashes or spontaneous shutdowns, so I consider this fixed unless something changes.
If someone surfs in that has the same problem, hopefully this will help.

Close