NAS SmartStor NS4300N and Mojave - no connection

• Last Post 16 January 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
Dietmar Harms posted this 14 January 2019

With High Sierra, my NAS SmartStor NS4300N automatically appeared in the Finder as a volume. When it didn't, I could easily look up the NAS' IP address in my router and connect via SMB.

With Mac OS X 10.14.2 Mojave, the NAS is no longer mounted automactically. It appears in the Finder under "Network", but there is no chance to connect. When I click "Connect as ..." in the Network window, it takes some time then results in an error "Error when connecting to the server "nas : SmartStor NS4300N". Check the server name or the IP address and try again. With further problems contact your system administrator." (translated from German)

The NAS doesn't appear in my router, either.

The programm LanScan.app shows all devices connected to the Network, but the NAS is not listed.

What can I do to get a connection again?

Best, Dietmar

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
PROMISE Technology Inc. posted this 14 January 2019

Hi Dietmar,

Many Mojave users are having issues connecting to SMB storage. So far the only answer I've seen that appears to work is to manually mount the volume.

To manually mount the volume..

First make a folder on your desktop. You cannot use the /Volumes folder as they is managed by macOS.

Then open a terminal and use the following command...

sudo mount_smbfs //admin@<NS4300 IP>/VOLUME1 <desktop folder>

You can drag and drop the folder on the desktop into the terminal and it will paste that folder path for you.

You will also need the NS4300 IP and the sudo password. You should be able to get the correct parameters from your Connect To Server mount command.

Another possibility would be to use SMB2, you can use SMB2 by using CIFS on the Connect To Server mount command instead of SMB. This is untested, but it might be more convienient than a manual mount if it works. 

You should be able to get the correct parameters from your Connect To Server mount command.

Thank you very much for your answer :-) I understand all that - except for I don't know how to get the IP address of my NS4300N.

Hi Dietmar,

Thank you very much for your answer :-) I understand all that - except for I don't know how to get the IP address of my NS4300N.

Can you copy and paste the text from your Connect To Server command? It probably starts with SMB://

Can you copy and paste the text from your Connect To Server command? It probably starts with SMB://

It has been

smb://192.168.1.185/

but this is not the right IP address.

Hi Dietmar,

but this is not the right IP address

Upgrading the MAC won't change the NS4300 IP or any mount points saved in Connect To Server. If this is the IP you used before it should still be correct.

Can you can point your browser to 192.168.1.185 and see if you get the management GUI?

Can you can point your browser to 192.168.1.185 and see if you get the management GUI?

OK, here is the long version ;-)

I am only using the NAS every few weeks to back up important files.

I have been using another router before (from Unitymedia). That router had the IP address 192.168.0.1. With that router the NAS repeatedly was automatically assigned the IP address 192.168.0.185. With this address I could reach the management GUI and connect via SMB. That time I was using Mac OS High Sierra. Usually the Finder automatically mounted the NAS. If not immediately automatic, then usually after a restart from NAS and Mac. So there was no need to make use of the NAS' IP address for quite a time.

Some months ago I added another router and connected the NAS via the new router (Linksys Velop). This new router has the IP address 192.168.1.1. Continuing using High Sierra, everything continued to work fine: When  I start up the NAS, it automatically was mounted by the Finder (as described above).

One or two weeks ago I moved to Mojave. Some days ago I started the NAS and expected it to mount automatically as before, but it didn't. In earlier times, when no automatical mounting took place, I could connect via SMB://192.168.0.185/. So I exchanged the 0 against 1 and tried SMB://192.168.1.185/, but this does not work, either.

According to your message I tried both versions in the browser (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1), but none brought up the GUI. 

What can I do if I don't want to go through possible 250 IP addresses (and maybe none of them works for some reason)?

Best, Dietmar

PROMISE Technology Inc. posted this 15 January 2019

Hi Dietmar,

Most routers have a page where you can see which devices are connected, you should be able to find out from your router.

And if you have any windows machines on the net you can use Advanced IP Scanner to find all devices on the network. It works well for me. There does not seem any convienient solution for Mojave, and they no longer include Bonjour in macOS.

But routers tend to assign IPs from the bottom up, the router IP is X.X.1.1, the next DHCP request will get X.X.1.2, then X.X.1.3, and so forth. So if you only have a few devices on the net just work up from 192.168.1.1 and you should find it shortly. You can ping the IPs, say from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.10 and see which are active. It should not take too long.

It just occurred to me, if the old IP was 192.168.0.185, it must be a static IP unless you have 185 network devices on your router. So you need to change the NS4300 IP to the 192.168.1.X range manually. To do this, you'll need to direct connect your computer to the NS4300 (plug the ethernet cable from your computer directly into the NS4300), then change your computer's IP from DHCP to 192.168.0.10, direct your browser to 192.168.0.185, login to the NS4300 and change the network IP from 192.168.0.185 to DHCP, then shut it down and reconnect it to your router, it should then acquire an IP in the correct subnet. Also change your computer back to DHCP.

Dietmar Harms posted this 16 January 2019

Most routers have a page where you can see which devices are connected, you should be able to find out from your router.

And if you have any windows machines on the net you can use Advanced IP Scanner to find all devices on the network. It works well for me. There does not seem any convienient solution for Mojave, and they no longer include Bonjour in macOS.

LanScan.app lists all devices connected to a Mac :-)

But routers tend to assign IPs from the bottom up, the router IP is X.X.1.1, the next DHCP request will get X.X.1.2, then X.X.1.3, and so forth. So if you only have a few devices on the net just work up from 192.168.1.1 and you should find it shortly. You can ping the IPs, say from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.10 and see which are active. It should not take too long.

I PINGed all IPs from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255, found all connected devices - except for the NAS.

It just occurred to me, if the old IP was 192.168.0.185, it must be a static IP unless you have 185 network devices on your router. So you need to change the NS4300 IP to the 192.168.1.X range manually. To do this, you'll need to direct connect your computer to the NS4300 (plug the ethernet cable from your computer directly into the NS4300), then change your computer's IP from DHCP to 192.168.0.10, direct your browser to 192.168.0.185, login to the NS4300 and change the network IP from 192.168.0.185 to DHCP, then shut it down and reconnect it to your router, it should then acquire an IP in the correct subnet. Also change your computer back to DHCP.

This was the clue! YES! :-) Because it has happened from time to time that my Mac could not connect automatically to the NAS, I had assigned a static IP years ago (and forgotten that). I did as you described, found the NAS and now everything works fine.

A big big thank you for your extraordinary, fast and outstanding support! :-)))

Best, Dietmar

PROMISE Technology Inc. posted this 16 January 2019

This was the clue! YES! :-) Because it has happened from time to time that my Mac could not connect automatically to the NAS, I had assigned a static IP years ago (and forgotten that). I did as you described, found the NAS and now everything works fine.

Fantastic. 

A big big thank you for your extraordinary, fast and outstanding support! :-)))

You're welcome.

Close