Mapping all drives Individually to Windows 10

• Last Post 3 weeks ago
Mike Duncan posted this 4 weeks ago

Hello all,  I've been tasked with mapping all of the drives in an Ex30 (with five Jx30's 96 drives total) to a Windows 10 machine via 8G fibre.  I'll be connecting the two fibre cables from the Ex30 (Point-to-Point) to the Windows machines ATTO 82EN fibre card.  All data on the storage is archived to LTO. 

From there I'm not sure what happens next to get the drives mapped and showing up individually in Windows 10 Disk Managment. 

If anyone is willing to share an outline or step by step guide on how to make this happen that would be great.

Thanks

mike_d

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
arunkumar b posted this 4 weeks ago

Hi Mike,

Please follow the below steps for LUN Mapping.

Adding an FC Initiator:

You must add an initiator to the VTrak’s initiator list in order to use the initiator to

create a LUN for your logical drive.

To add a Fibre Channel initiator from a list:

1. Click the Device tab.

2. Click the FC Management icon.

3. Click the Initiators on Fabric tab.

4. Check the box to the left of the initiator you want to add.

5. Click the Add to Initiator List button.

The initiator is added, and its check box grays out.

Adding a LUN Map:

LUN masking must be enabled in order to assign LUNs to logical drives.

Disabling LUN masking allows all initiators to access all LUNs in your data

storage.

To add a LUN map:

1. Click the AdminTool tab.

2. Click the LUN Mapping & Masking icon.

3. Click the LUN Mapping button.

The first LUN Mapping screen appears.

4. Choose an initiator from the Select Initiator dropdown list.

5. Click the Next button.

The second LUN Mapping screen appears.

6. Drag a logical drive from the Logical Drive list and drop it onto the Initiator

list.

7. Click the Next button.

The final LUN Mapping screen appears showing the initiator and LUN map.

8. Click the Submit button.

The new LUN map is created.

Now go to Windows 10 disk management and scan the disk to see if the volume is visible

Regards

Arun

Promise Tech Support

Richard Oettinger posted this 4 weeks ago

Hi Mike,

Do you wish to have 96 individual disks on one Windows system?

To do that you need to create one Disk Array using one drive, then create a Logical Drive with it - 96 times.

Grab the product manual and check out the section starting at page 151:

https://www.promise.com/DownloadFile.aspx?DownloadFileUID=1151

Because there will only be one disk in each Disk Array, you can only create a RAID0 Logical Drive, which means that you will have zero protection against a drive failure...

R P posted this 4 weeks ago

Hi Mike,

Follow Richard's advice making 1 RAID0 array/LUN per drive, but there are some cautions.

You cannot mount all the drives to a drive letter, Windows drive letters go from 'a' to 'z' and then they fall off the end of the alphabet. Also, 'a' and 'b' are reserved for floppies and 'c' is probably your boot drive so you can only mount 23 drives to a drive letter, unless you have a DVD or any other devices mounted to a drive letter, in which case less than 23.

But, modern windows also allows you to mount the drive to a folder (a lot like Unix), so you can create 96 folders with whatever naming scheme seems appropriate and mount the LUNs to the folders. This 'superuser' article shows how.

https://superuser.com/questions/536886/what-happens-when-windows-runs-out-of-drive-letters

If you are on a SAN, then you should LUNmap, but if you are direct connecting the Ex30 to your windows server, as seems to be the case, then LUNmapping won't be necessary,

Mike Duncan posted this 3 weeks ago

Hello all,

I see now that I need to connect as DAS, add the Initiator and and create a LUN with 96 drive in it.  When the new LUN map is started.  How much time should I estimate for the initialization?  96x2TB drives, 48 hour?

Thanks to all for the insight.  I'll be making the changes in a couple of weeks and I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

mike_d

Richard Oettinger posted this 3 weeks ago

If the unit is connected to one server you do not need to add the initiator. With LUN Mapping disabled, any Logical Drives you create will be visible to the server.

We - and other vendors - dont typcially recommend creating arrays with 96 drives. The rebuild time for one failed drive is greatly extended as every drive has to be read to create the parity for the replacement.

A rule of thumb would be to create a RAID6 LD using all the drives in an enclosure, then you could either have five drives available to Windows or create a spanned volume...

Close