Is the Pegasus3 R4 compatible with late 2013 iMac 27?

• Last Post 07 March 2019
Tomas Schmidt posted this 07 March 2019

I'm just about to order a Pegasus3 R4, but reviewing the current compatiblity list, the late 2013 iMac 27 is not listed.  

I am running the latest macOS Mojave 10.14.3

I have seen some contradictory posts in the forum - some saying the Pegasus3 works perfectly (using a Thuderbolt 3/2 adapter)....and some posts indicating connection issues, though the posts are from a few years ago.

Please advise whether I should expect it to work correctly, or just asking for trouble.

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
Raghuraman Kannan posted this 07 March 2019

Hi Tomas,

If your MAC is having Thunderbolt 2 port, then the Pegasus 3 can be used Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor .

Thanks !

Tomas Schmidt posted this 07 March 2019

Hi Raghuraman,

Thank you for the response.  My late 2013 iMac has the first generation Thunderbolt port.  

According to Apple, Thunderbolt 3 is backward compatible with all versions of Thunderbolt using the Thunderbolt adapter....and I have also seen post on this forum to that effect.  The Apple Thunderbolt 3/2 adapter is bidirectional, and does function with Thunderbolt 1.  

I wanted to check to see if you are aware of any potential hardware or firmware dependencies on the later version of Thunderbolt beyond the form factor that could cause an issue.

Close