Disks available for Pegasus 3 R4

• Last Post 4 weeks ago
jerome prudent posted this 4 weeks ago

Hello,

I'd like to increase the capacity of my Promise 3 and I'm wondering if I'm taking a risk by using disks that aren't on the list of verified disks? 

I'm using it for 4k video editing and I'd like to keep the rushes for long periods. 

For this, I was thinking that Seagate IronWolfPro 12T (ST12000VN0008), WD Red Plus 10T (WD 101EFBX), Seagate Barracuda pro 8T (ST8000DM0004) disks might be good as I already own some.

If not, which verified drives on the list (8or10T,12T) might be the best for performance and longevity?

Thanks for your answers!

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
R P posted this 4 weeks ago

Hi Jerome,

I'd like to increase the capacity of my Promise 3 and I'm wondering if I'm taking a risk by using disks that aren't on the list of verified disks?

Mostly not, the SATA spec is pretty tight, most SATA disks should work.

But today there are counfounding factors, some disks have a native blocksize of 4K, known as 4Kn. These drives have not been tested and they are not supported, use at your own risk.

Also some drives are known as SMR, aka shingled disks, the tracks overlap to get more storage capacity. Shingled drives will probably work, but they have very slow re-write speeds.

It's a good idea to get new drives on the compatibility list if they are still available.  This is the compatibility list.

jerome prudent posted this 4 weeks ago

Thank you very much for your response.

In this case, what type of disk or model do you recommand in order to prioritize speed and durability ?

Are "NAS" disks more suitable ?

I Spotted the Toshiba enterprise capacity MG07ACA14TE or the WD Ultrastar HUH721212ALE04 wich are in the list, which one is the better choice ?

Thanks

R P posted this 4 weeks ago

Hi Jerome,

In this case, what type of disk or model do you recommand in order to prioritize speed and durability ?

The drives we ship with seem to meet both requirements. I have seen some customers who had a Pegasus 1 (introduced in 2011) and all the original drives were still running and showing no signs of failing.

Are "NAS" disks more suitable ?

I would suggest either NAS or surveillance drives. I'm not sure if there is any difference, they just seem to be marketed to different applications.

I Spotted the Toshiba enterprise capacity MG07ACA14TE or the WD Ultrastar HUH721212ALE04 wich are in the list, which one is the better choice ?

If cost is a factor go with the cheapest. Otherwise I'd go with the Enterprise drive, they are about as durable as you can get in a hard drive.

Close