Can I buy for my Pegasus 2 larger hard drives to increase overall space?

• Last Post 08 April 2024
David Steinberg posted this 01 February 2024

I bought this P2 R6 system in 2014 and had it in storage for the last five years. I updated the drivers, and it worked great. But as a designer, my TB space is 12TB, with Raid configured at 10Tb. Can I upgrade my drives to large 4T or 6T drives? Right now, I run 6x2TB

And if yes, where should I buy them from, sorry, I have zero knowledge anymore about what's good today since I use business Dropbox for 10 years ;) 

I would love to mirror my Dropbox, which runs 15TB and is growing. 

Order By: Standard | Latest | Votes
Babatunde Akinkuolie posted this 01 February 2024

Just a heads-up: the largest drive tested with Pegasus2 is 10TB. 4TB and 6TB drives have also been tested as well.You can purchase any drive model/brand of the same size by referring to the Hard Drive Compatibility list tested with the Pegasus2 here . In case those drives are no longer manufactured, you're free to choose and purchase any drive model/brand of up to 10TB, and it should operate smoothly in your Pegasus unit. Just ensure the replacement drive matches at least the same spindle speed as your existing drives (usually 7200rpm).Also, make sure your unit is running the latest firmware. You can find guidance on updating the firmware here

David Steinberg posted this 01 February 2024

Thank you. Last question: How do I go about adding the new larger drives? Do I replace one at a time or how many can I swap at once? 

• Liked by
  • David Merrell
Babatunde Akinkuolie posted this 02 February 2024

There are two options to consider, but it's crucial to back up your data before implementing either of them.

1) Replace and Recreate:Back up your data from your current setup, then replace the drive with a larger capacity one. Afterward, create a new disk array/logical volume, and finally, move your data into the unit. This is the safest and recommended option.

2) Gradual Replacement:Again, start by backing up your data. Then, you can replace the drives with larger ones gradually through a series of rebuilds. Refer to the guide here for detailed instructions.

Remember, always back up your data before proceeding with any option.

wilkinson wilfrid posted this 04 March 2024

Incorporating the new, larger drives—what am I missing? In other words, how many can I swap out at once, or do I have to replace them one by one?basketball stars

R P posted this 08 April 2024

Hi Wilkinson,

Incorporating the new, larger drives—what am I missing? In other words, how many can I swap out at once, or do I have to replace them one by one?basketball stars

If you are asking about option 2, then you can only replace (1) drive at a time and you must let a rebuild complete. If a rebuild does not start, then manual action will be required.

Most new drives arrive as passthru drives, you can't rebuild to a passthru drive, so the simplest option is to remove the passthru status and make the drive a spare, an auto-rebuild should then start.

For example, if you had just replaced PD1 with a new larger drive and a rebuild did no start, these commands from the CLI will get things going.

phydrv -a mod -s "config=unconfig" -p 1
spare -a add -p 1

In both cases the number following -p at the end of the command is  the drive number. For PD2 change the number to 2.

IMPORTANT: Wait for the rebuild to complete before replacing another drive.

Close